The Weak Two Bid is used in conjunction with the strong 2C opening bid. By using the 2C bid for all strong hands the other 2-level bids are available for other purposes. The 2-level bids are used as "small" pre-emptive bids.
To open 2D, 2H, or 2S you require 5 to 11 HCPs and a reasonably good six card suit. You can not hold a side-suit four card major. 2D is often used for other conventional treatments, such as Flannery.
When sitting in the third or fourth seat the length requirements are relaxed, a five-card suit can be bid, but bidding on a minimum HCP hand should be avoided.
2 Notrump = The only forcing response to a weak-two bid. The bid shows interest in game and is forcing for one round. Requires 14 pts., but can be less with good trump support.
After the 2 Notrump response the opener describes his hand:
The Two NT bidder now has a good idea where to place the contract. The bids available now are:
- 3 of the suit you opened on a minimum weak two-bid, in the range of 5-8 points
- 3 NT with a solid trump suit headed by the AKQ or AKJ. This is an artificial bid indicating a solid trump suit, but not indicating a desire to play notrump.
- 3 of a side suit 8-11 points and an Ace, King, or Queen in a side suit
- 4 of a minor suit with a good four or five card minor suit and a upper end point count bid
All other responses, but Two Notrump, are not forcing. The bidding options to the responder are:
- Pass If opener has rebid his suit
- Next higher level of partner's suit. Mildly invitational to game. The opener should only bid game with a maximum hand.
- Any other suit bid (not including game bids) Indicates five-card suit and is forcing. Partner should raise with three card support and or a doubleton honor.
- A game bid. A sign-off bid
- Raise partner's bid to the 3 level. Pre-emptive. It does not invite to game. The opener is expected to pass.
- Bidding a new suit indicates a six card suit and no fit. This bid is not forcing, and partner should pass unless he has support for the responder's suit.
- Jump to a new suit shows a self-sufficient suit that is one playing trick below the bid.
- Game bid ends bidding. Opener is required to pass.